Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Nora Ephron Understands Auto-Beauty-Ography

Erika Kawalek at DoubleX interviewed Delia and Nora Ephron, about their stage adaptation of Ilene Beckerman's book, Love, Loss and What I Wore. On what first struck her about the book, Nora says, "... that the book is not about fashion at all. It’s about a much deeper question: How much clothes are us, or fail to be us."

I've written about clothes that failed to be me here: The Worst Things I Ever Wore, and here Story of My Bitter Defeat. Nora wrote an auto-beauty-ography of her own, I Feel Bad About My Neck.

And if you're new around here, I coined the term auto-beauty-ography to describe little life stories, told in terms of hair and weight and clothes, often disguised as how-to guides. Here are a few of my favorites: The Strange Case of Edith Carter, World's First Reality Star, and Great Big Beautiful Doll.
Find out more about the showhere. Want to go see it with me?