Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I Made a Church of Your Hair-Do


"...When the urban situation causes the distance between us to increase and our interactions to be less frequent we have to use novel means to attract attention: big hair, skimpy clothes and plastic surgery. We become walking billboards."
--David Byrne on his perfect city
(WSJ, via Kottke)

Let's take a look at what else David Byrne has to say about hair:

From
The Other Side of Life:
"I made a church of your hair-do
And I made a shrine of your legs"

From
Why:
"I got skills and I got secrets, I can part my hair
I feel an empty space where love could be"

From
Pirates:
"The night is gone
And the day is here
The stupid sun is
shinin'
The moon reflects
Your hair's a mess
It's lovely imperfections"

From
Glad:
"I'm glad
I got hair, glad I got ears
I'm glad I got lungs, I'm glad I got tears
Glad that I never ever know what's real"


From Strange Ritual:
"
Mmm--I see hairstyles
Scenes of beauty
Scenes that disgust me
I see me --
I felt awe
Felt disgust
I felt bliss
I felt lust
It’s — not unusual"

From
Somebody:
"Somebody’s
gettinouta bed
Somebody’s
gettin’ herself dressed
Somebody’s
combin’ back her hair
Somebody’s
dancin’ down the stairs"



Off topic: I think I've
angered the font Gods. Things are screwy. Working on it.