Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cecil Beaton and Sharpie Markers

Cecil Beaton (1904-1980) was a British portrait and fashion photographer who is widely known for his set and costume design for the film My Fair Lady.
Later, I'll introduce you to his dreamy, haunting portraits of his sisters and other society girls from the 1930s.

I have a little gingham love seat facing the desk in my home office. My writing partner Molly sits there when we work. Various other friends have sat there to cry and tell me their woes. I like to think of them as "clients," since they are on a couch and I am at a desk, though it is unclear what service I provide.
Anyway, one day I would like to have it recovered, and after much searching, I found the sort of graphic, black and white rose print I longed for. And it was designed by Cecil Beaton! I'd love to get my hands on some of that wallpaper. Those projects await future budget.

Earlier today I read a piece by Nina Carbone at The Frisky about DIY projects involving Sharpies. The designers of Vena Cava told her they use the markers to draw on cotton and silk, so now I've gotten it into my head to draw black roses on a beige or white silk dress. I will use the wallpaper roses in the photo above as inspiration.

Stay tuned for more on Cecil Beaton.