Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ava Gardner: "Undies, Diamonds, Tiara, Etc."


Earlier, I got this e-mail from my sister, Laura:

"Just finished Ava Gardner: "Love Is Nothing"by Lee Server. Remember how I was saying that other star bios don't have enough dirt? This one paid me back and then some. I swear it was exhausting just reading it. Debauched doesn't even begin to describe! I dared Matt to literally open any page in the book randomly, read it, and not be shocked or surprised. He thought I was exaggerating.
He opened to a page where she went to a premiere and to a club afterward. Proceeded to go in the bathroom, strip off girdle, undies, diamonds, tiara, etc and stuff them in friends purses. Said something like 'I am so glad I am finally able to be myself!' She then took home all four members of the band at the end of the night (sleeping with them is implied).
By that point in the book, the only thing that seemed out of character for her was that she waited until she got to the ladies room to strip off the undergarments! Anyway, thought you or your blog readers might enjoy."

I think I speak for myself and my readers when I say, SOLD. I just checked out some preview pages on Amazon, and indeed, you can find the above incident on page 378. Perhaps even more delightful is page 154, which recounts what Ava was willing to do for the sake of art, after "a steady stream of hot drinks," and provides one of the things I most love to find in a biography: the subject's measurements.

Bust: 35 3/4
Waist: 23 1/4
Hips: 34
Neck: 12 1/2
Thighs: 19
Calves: 13
Ankles: 7 1/2