Monday, June 1, 2009

Beauty Parlor























This is a guest post of sorts.  My dear friend Molly recently went home to visit her family in Cleveland, Ohio and sent me these photos and descriptions.  I asked if I could share them with you.  Enjoy!
























Here is the beauty parlor where my Nana has gone every Saturday at noon - for like forty years! - to get her hair set. 



























 





Nana’s hairdresser, Zona, told me she doesn’t like to hire young stylists because they just learn cuts and do them without thinking about the individual. She likes to take face shape and hair texture and any other relevant factors into account when designing a hairdo.  She considers it an art, and important.  
She has even volunteered at mental institutions and old-age homes to give residents a fresh hairdo.  When she’d get there, they would be lolling in their chairs lethargically.  When she’d leave they would be giggling like schoolgirls.



















Nana’s Personal Hairdo in process.  Note the scotch tape!



Thanks again, Moll!  I adore everything about these: the pink chairs, the expressions Molly captured, and the humble yet glamorous tradition of going for a roller set each week.  We need an After Photo...