Saturday, January 17, 2009

Happy Birthday, Edna

Edna Wallace Hopper is my muse. I could go on and on about her, and will continue to do so. Edna played games with her age right up until the end, but by best accounts, she was born January 17, 1872, exactly 100 years before me.
I'll wish Edna a happy birthday by repeating this 1893 review of one of her performances (Edna was a triple threat and so much more):

"Hands came together all over the house when the little Mrs. Hopper appeared, dressed in lace and yellow and looking just a bit timid and apprehensive. When she sang there was more applause, and when she talked there was more, and when she only stood still and looked pretty there was more, with big bouquets every now and then to punctuate the approbation."

That happens to be very much how I expect my birthday celebration tonight to go for me. Now, click to enlarge and do the photo at left justice. I want you to see the gorgeous beaded details of Edna's dress, her wasp waist, and the sage expression on her face.
Please keep in mind as you read this blog, that I often write it wearing a similar ensemble while perched upon a throne, my pointed satin slippers set just so upon my tiger skin rug.