Friday, November 14, 2008

On My Favorite Color, and Threesomes

My sister and I spent years of our childhood obsessed with the 1982 movie Summer Lovers
in which Daryl Hannah and Peter Gallagher frolic  around the Greek Isles with a French girlfriend.  I guess we thought it would reveal the secrets of our debaucherous futures: naked sunbathing, olive oil fights, tangled sheets everywhere.  You know, everyday adulthood.
I recently watched the film again and found it delightful.  While I've lost all interest in polyamory, I do want to stay in a carved white house on a cliff by the sea.

But all of this is really a preamble to tell you about my favorite color which I refuse to call merely pink.  My favorite color is faded red.  The above frame, taken right before Daryl and Peter extend the confines of their relationship, demonstrates two versions of the color I love.  And of course the digital photo of my television screen barely does it justice.  When perfectly executed, the color is deeply fleshy.  Kind of lip-colored.  Nantucket red is also good, but usually only available as a canvas tote bag or pair of men's pants.
In other films of the 70s through the early 80s, I've often noticed people wearing just the perfect t-shirts in various faded reds.  The only good thing about the faux-retro tee thing that went around for a few years was that red t-shirts were available, pseudo-faded.
I have even bought red articles of clothing thinking, this will be really good in about five years.  Sometimes the affect is achieved by weaving red and white threads together in a fabric.  My living room curtains are like that.  When guests call them pink, I correct, pale red.
I should start experimenting with bleach.