Thursday, October 9, 2008

Not Recommended

Today I went to three hardware stores in search of a plain, untreated, microfiber cloth with which to dust and clean various things around the house.  Often, I don't even need to add any sort of cleaning fluid to the cloth; they work on everything.  When I finally found one and got home, I decided to look online and see if I was missing out on other things to clean with my wonder cloth.  Perhaps because I am who I am and Google knows what I generally enjoy, one of the first things to pop up was a bunch of raves from women who use these very same cloths to wash their faces.
Microfiber clothes feel like extra-soft washcloths, so it seemed an okay idea.  Fans of the method swore they no longer needed soap or fancy cleanser.  This appealed to me.  Though I enjoy beauty products, I have very sensitive skin, and more often than not, soaps and creams cause my skin to recoil and splotch.  Also, what with The Great Depression II (Electric Boogaloo) upon us, my well of expensive beauty swag from writing reviews and a sister in the business, is likely to dry up, right along with our livelihoods.  In the End Times, I'll need to travel light.  One cloth for all my facial and household needs seemed a frugal bet.
So I tried it.  While it did feel soft, it managed to treat my face roughly.  I felt like all the moisture in my head was being sucked out into the microfibers.  It almost hurt.  I had been wearing mineral-based face powder (see post below).  The cloth definitely removed all traces, but I am not sure a normal washcloth wouldn't have done the same. 
Tonight's groundbreaking advice:  using things you found at the hardware store on your face is not always a good idea.  
I am going back to the plans I had in mind when I bought it: dusting my radiators and cleaning all my shoes.