Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"There Are No Ugly Women, Only Lazy Ones"

That's a quote from Helena Rubinstein. And on her first visit to this country, she famously said, “All the American women had purple noses and gray lips and their faces were chalk white from terrible powder. I recognized that the United States could be my life's work.”
Which sounds a bit like Shahnaz Hussein from yesterday's post, doesn't it? These exotic beauty dynamos from foreign lands take pity on us and just swoop in to make a fortune. Helena sure did. At left is an ad for lipstick sets based on hair color.

And look! I found one of the original lipstick sets for sale. I crave almost everything on that page but the powderpuff dolls. I do not want those. I really do want the Shiaparelli bath sponges.
Helena wrote several books on beauty and fitness. The Art of Feminine Beauty (1930), contains one of my all time favorite beauty quotes. In fact I almost can't believe I haven't already shared it with you:

Old fashioned people may protest and bewail the modern preoccupation in the cultivation of beauty as a manifestation of the laxness of the times. But I shall continue to regard it as a duty, and a virtue, as well as a distinct pleasure.

Helena also had plenty to say about the use of meat in facials, a topic so deeply amusing to me that it gets it's own post tomorrow.