Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bad Posture and Spa Food

It's posture day on Peculiar Beauty.  I've been writing more than usual lately, and I'm only sitting properly at a desk about a third of the time.  Usually I am crouched, gargoyle-like, over the laptop.  My neck and shoulders are killing me.  I went for a massage at a spa in a nearby Brooklyn neighborhood. 

I asked the massage therapist to please, "grab my head and literally pull it out of my torso."  She laughed and agreed that yes, my neck had disappeared.  After being aromatherapized, dipping myself into various pools and drying out in the Turkish sauna, I went into the cafe for a light spa dinner.  On the menu?  Fried mozzarella sticks, fried calamari, burgers, chicken wings and fries.  I found this peculiar. 

Posture has always been a problem for me.  I remember my mother begging me to stand up straight since the beginning of time.  Years ago, a ex-boyfriend showed up to try to win me back.

"I just miss you being around," he said.  Go on, I thought.  "I miss looking over and seeing you reading, all slumped over on the couch."

This flattery got him nowhere, but I remember thinking, he really had been paying attention.  Stay tuned today for vintage tips on improving posture.